The purpose of this five-year contract is to improve the quality of education as well as access to education by underserved populations, i.e., indigenous children, girls and out-of-school youth in Guatemala. Specifically, the project provides technical assistance needed to improve the quality and equity of student reading outcomes. Such technical assistance focuses on:
- increasing teacher effectiveness
- improving classroom learning environments
- fostering effective first and second language (Mayan languages and Spanish) acquisition and reading
- extending learning opportunities to underserved popuations, especially to girls and indigenous groups
- expanding parent, community and stakeholder participation in student learning
Reading outcomes are being improved through the Guatemala Ministry of Education structure, reaching as many schools as possible, especially in the Western Highlands region (specifically in Quetzaltenango, Huehuetenango, San Marcos, Totonicapán and Quiché), with the goal of achieving greater economic self-reliance and higher levels of civic engagement and educational achievement. The outcomes will provide underserved Guatemalan youth with increased education, economic and civic participation opportunities, thus increasing stability and economic growth in the Western Highlands.
Contact: Fernando Rubio, Chief of Party – firstname.lastname@example.org